Hi, this week, I'll introduce the topic Matter. Below are some of the experiments i had done in class :
a) To show air has mass ------------->
- This experiment is supposed to use a rod to balance the both balloons.
- However, I changed to use metre rule instead. Without the disturbance of fan, surely the balancing is easier to obtain.
a) Diffusion of solid ------------->
I put Potassium Manganate (VII) on top of a jelly.You can observe that the purple colour will diffuse very slowly.The below results that I get is actually being done for 4 hours. Visibly, it is very much clear that in a solid matter, the diffusion process is very slow. In order for the whole jelly to become purple colour, it'll need couple of days.
|On Side View|
|On Top View|
After 4 hours
In this experiment, I use Copper (II) Sulphate to diffuse into the water.
However, this is a failed experiment because byright, we need to dissolve the solidify state of copper (II) sulphate first until a concentrated solution is formed, then transfer the solution to a beaker half filled with water. Then, waited for the diffusion to happen.
Below is the successful experiment I had done using concentrated potassium manganate (VII) solution and thisthle funnel.
3.3 The Concept of Density
Calculation of a density of a substance :
Below shows the experiments I'd done in the class to show density :
a) Egg Density Experiment
- In order for this experiment to succeed, the eggs must be fresh, or else, there is air trapped inside the egg shell that enables it to float no matter what.
- Next, mix a mixture of 4 tablespoons of salt in water.(p/s : you can try and drop in the egg to see whether it'll float already).
- Then, pour half of the concentrated salt solution into second beaker. Add in half of the amount of water. Drop in the egg, it'll float in the middle.
- The 3rd beaker solution is totally from concentrated salt.
- Make a clay boat and a clump of clay. Make sure there is no hole and the water cannot enter the boat when you put in on water.
- When you put in on water, it is notice that the boat will float.
- On the other hand, the clump of clay will sink because it is denser.
Since i cannot make my own submarine, I found this submarine animation as a substitute.
Below is an exercise to test your understanding level: Good luck :>